Monday, January 26, 2015

To be or not to be

Staj year is one of the most important years in our teaching career. During our staj year we struggle with many things: class room management, lesson plans, tests, grades and the list can go on and on.

Each time I have to face one of these issues I can't stop asking myself: How to handle with the pressure?  Will I be able to provide for my family with a teacher salary? (2000 shekels a month) Am I a good teacher?  And the most important question is do I really want to become a teacher?


Despite the struggles, I try to look on the bright side of things. The feeling of satisfaction and happiness I get when I walk into the classroom and I see the pupil's smiles, when I hear how much they enjoyed the lesson and when one of the pupils tell you that the only reason he knows English is because of you!!! It doesn't get any better than that.

I believe teaching is a vocation for anyone who genuinely loves teaching.

I am an elementary school English teacher. I love my career. But no I don’t like it every day.

I do my best every day.

Now I have to decide, to be or not to be (a teacher)… 





1 comment:

  1. Efrat,
    I understand your troubles and tribulations -especially during the first year of teaching. But the fact that you find it rewarding and it gives you a sense of satisfaction means that you're probably on the right track. Anyhow, I hope you make the right choice for yourself (and your family)
    All the best!
    L

    ReplyDelete