Thursday, January 8, 2015

Boys vs. Girls in Classroom

I have just finished writing my seminar paper. My topic was "Gender Differences in Foreign Language Acquisition". Don’t worry I am NOT going to write about the paper itself, but I thought it could be helpful to write in our blog about few insights that I had while writing it. These can be used as "Tips"  from me to you, teacher to teacher. I must say, I have never thought I would learn so much from writing this paper, and even more, to implement in class what I have studied from it.

Before sharing with you my insights,I will just summarize the content of the paper  so you will get the whole picture . I know it might sound boring but I will try to write it in an interesting way. The aim of the paper was to examine the differences between boy and girls when it comes with learning a language. Have you ever thought about it before? Have you ever got the chance to stop for a second, and think of the possibility that there are differences the way boys and girls learn? If not, I hope reading this blog will change your mind.

So, yes, there are differences, but what was most important is the fact that there are 
differences the way teachers treat boys and girls in class. As a teacher…. Did you know that teachers paid more attention to boys than girls? Did you know that teachers give boys more time to answer questions in class?  Did you know that teachers give boys more positive feedbacks? All of these come from a belief that girls are better language learner and they are expected to be good language learners. My results were that girls are better learners, but I have chosen to put, here in my blog, attention for those who are not including in the statistics and they are different! If it is true, and teachers treat differently boys and girls we must do something about it, even if we do it unconsciously. We can't "lose" some of our pupils because we believe they are "better learners".

Teachers should check and do a reflection about themselves, like they do after each lesson about the way they taught or how they spoke in class, and check how they treat each student in class.  If they are treat differently the first step is to be aware of it, than you can think what to do with it.( If for some teacher it is difficult to reflect about themselves, the reflection can be done by some other teacher who observes the other one.)

I hope I made you think about yourselves like I did.

Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I've never thought about it but a lot of what you talk about makes sense. Personally, I find that I always remember the boys' / male students' names better than those of the girls - which is probably explained by the fact that we as teachers - subconsciously - pay more attention to boys.

    As regards girls being better language learners I see that it's not a myth or misconception after all since you study confirmed it.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley I've read several articles about the way we as teachers treat male and female students differently and I agree with you its a fascinating topic. Part of the problem is that gender bias is rampant in our society. Its apparent in how parents raise their children and the different expectations they have for their male and female children. Its in the textbooks we use and in the way we think males and females learn. I know from personally experience that their are boys in classrooms that demand more attention in the classroom and will go to lengths to get that attention. A smart teacher will provide it because not only is that what the child needs but it also keeps the atmosphere in the classroom more manageable. But why do some children need more attention then others? Is it because in their home, boys are expected to behave as "boys"? and girls as "girls"? I have three boys and one girl. I can't say that my daughter is a better learner than boys because the boys all have different, interesting and creative ways of learning, they just aren't the standard way teachers expect. Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley – very nice!
    First – I must admit right now I've really relaxed… (Disclosure – Shirley teaches both of my girls in elementary school) thanks god my son is so far three years old only ;-)
    Second – Your blog made me think about myself, reflect and imagine all my classes and whether I'm treating boys different than boys. So far I'm pretty sure I treat both the same but I promise to reflect "online", meaning, just after the lessons in order to better understand if I'm right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, a very interesting topic. I can see why you enjoyed writing your paper on it. I remember I once read that boys learn better when put in a class that has both genders in it, and girls learn better when they are only among other girls, and there are no boys around. I think it applied to math lessons, and to junior-high level, and it had to do more with the motivations and general interests of adolescents than with teacher's attitudes. The boys like competition, and it drives them to try harder and do better (in general), while girls are busy with how they look, and what boys think of them, and that distracts them from learning. But if what you found out is true - then girls in regular, secular schools are losing the battle in all aspects - both the environment in which they learn, and the teacher's attitude. Very disturbing when one thinks about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley,
    I always thought that girls are better learners because teachers, who are mostly female, are afraid of the boys and behave so, they are more nervous teaching boys. And there are legends about how women teachers simply "hate"boys, and the conclusion that some come to is that there should be many more male teachers to address the boys.
    So this is very interesting how the teacher's expectations and behavior shape the learning patterns of the students. If I'll ever be a teacher I will certainly keep this in mind. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just remembered another interesting piece of research I read once. Girls study better in single sex classes, while boys do better in mixed classes (boys and girls together). Interesting, innit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley
    Reading your blog reminded me that last week the principal of the school came to watch one of my lessons. She told me I pay more attention to the boys in my classroom than the girls. After her comment and after reading your blog I will definitely be more aware during my lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I already told you in my school it’s the exact opposite. In all of my grades the boys are stronger than the girl. It's very interesting. Maybe you should research it furthermore in my school. Publish a study yourself, and discredit the whole thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete