Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Teacher Burnout

Last month I submitted my very first English seminar paper. I choose a very interesting subject to write and learn about- "Teacher Burnout". I started this paper last year in the middle of my third year , and I finished it in December. At first I was concerned; I thought that there wouldn't be enough material on it ,but to my surprise there was a LOT of material on this subject. Apparently it’s a known worldwide problem. Many studies have been conducted on this subject , its causes and its effects, and more important its solutions. Any way I wanted to share with you my introduction, because I'm so proud of it. I recommend all of you rocky teachers to read a little about it on-line. It's extremely important for all of us who are just starting to be aware of. So here it is:
 According to one research 20-30% of teachers will leave the profession within their first 3 years. Another research found that 4 out of 10 teachers will leave before reaching retirement age. The combination of many factors will result in nearly 50% of teachers leaving the profession before they reach their sixth year of teaching. (Fisher, 2011), (Coulter & Abney, 2008).
Teachers, during their work, are exposed to a lot of stress, and as a young teacher who is about to spread my wings and start my first job as a teacher I began to wonder. How hard could it be? What can happen when I will be on my own? But the main question is was what can happen when it becomes too hard to bear. Therefore, the purpose of this paper is to examine what are the repercussions of burnout on a teachers' classroom work. I choose to research teachers who are in the system for several years now because, as future teachers I started thinking and become aware to the problem of teacher burnout; its causes and the consequences. 

Just a little somthing for you to think about.. and now a penny for your thoughts..

Lital.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting.
    Did you find any gender differences - are women or men more likely to leave the profession? I was once in touch with a lecturer in Germany - she needed my help with her first presentation at the IATEFL conference in the UK - and she researched the reasons why teachers choose to become teachers. She had some interesting insights into why men and women choose the profession and how the reasons for their choice affect their leaving their jobs early.

    I wonder what grade you got for your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very interesting subject. I think about it every day, when I enter the teacher's room. I found different voices through the elementary school teachers and high-school teachers. In my point of view, and what I have experienced in the field, high school teachers tend to be more tired. I wonder if this burnout phenomenon happens more within high school teachers than elementary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very interesting subject. I think about it every day, when I enter the teacher's room. I found different voices through the elementary school teachers and high-school teachers. In my point of view, and what I have experienced in the field, high school teachers tend to be more tired. I wonder if this burnout phenomenon happens more within high school teachers than elementary.

    ReplyDelete