Saturday, November 29, 2014

Township – The South African Poverty Area

Township – The South African Poverty Area

Two months ago, during my honeymoon in South Africa, while my husband and I were travelling through beautiful views, green hills, and endless roads, we noticed a fascinating phenomenon.

In the middle of nowhere, between forests and towns, spread huge neighborhoods of rickety shacks. Each time we went through it, I sped or asked my husband to drive faster. I was scared, but much more than that, curious. Through the voyage, we were staying in houses of local people. Each house and its different people and colorful opinions. When we asked our landlord, a nice lady, who had the passing years written on her face, of these sorts of "slums", she told us that these were called "Townships". The Townships are the residence place of the poorest South African blacks, remaining from the days of the Apartheid.  "Apartheid" means "separation" in Afrikaans, the local language. 

During these days, the blacks were separated from the whites, and were allowed to live only in certain areas, where they remained uneducated and underdeveloped, highly discriminated in comparison with the white population.  Another landlord has explained us that ever since, the descendants of these people reside in the townships, in poverty and shortage.
Me and my husband became even more curious, and for quite some time, have been looking for a guided tour to one of the townships.

And we eventually found one, in the place we expected it the least, the touristic city of Knysna.
We contacted a local guide, and set up a tour for the next morning.
The tour was interesting, and very eye-opening.  I found out that things are not always as they seem, and that not everything is "black and white".

What did I find about the Townships? Are these people really the total victims of the past or is there more to it?  Wait to my next blog to find out!


Written by: Natali silbiger

10 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on getting married. It sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon in South Africa. I'm totally jealous!! For my honeymoon, we went to Sinai. I didn't last more than one night. Too hot and too much sand.
    You write beautifully, like a storyteller. Do you write for pleasure in Hebrew?
    I really enjoyed your post and wanted to know, what's the food like in South Africa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dear Lara,
      I do write for my pleasure, it makes me feel satisfied and calm.I'm glad that you could recognized it through the English writing.
      Life in South Africa is really special. many people, many colors and rich culture. the society is interesting and complex. I'll will elaborate about it next time :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a great blog - very interesting. From my travels to South Africa your blog is well written and the message was transfered. Looking forward to your next blog! 10'x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed reading your post - like others here, I am sure. Sounds like a fascinating trip. And I can't wait for the next installment.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like my comment was somehow deleted.
    Just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading your post, and was very impressed that while celebrating your own festivity, you left your eyes and heart open to notice the suffering of others, and made an effort to learn more about it. Waiting to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keren. actually, you couldn't avoid it. Townships are spread all over the country and it's kind of "forcing" you asking those questions.

      Delete
  5. wow what an intersting blog!! well written!! By the way I have never thaught of Africa as a destination for honeymoon.... now I do!

    ReplyDelete